Mooshack

Sunday, September 02, 2007

The King of Kong

It's a three day weekend and this special documentary about the world champion Donkey Kong player and a challenger is getting fantastic reviews on Rottentomatoes.com. In fact, some are calling it the movie of the year, yeah, all year.

Well, I love movies, I love video games, I love documentaries. Sounds like I have a movie to watch. The movie is only playing in 7 cities across America. Austin being one of those cities. Austin is only 3 hours from me, so I said what the hell, I'll drive 6 hours, see a movie (a great movie) and party hard in one of America's best college towns.

Long story short, I didn't go, but I did see the movie. Don't ask me how, I'd have to kill you.

Best movie of the year? Yes. I can't do a full review because I'm at home playing Guitar Hero and Donkey Kong, but the urge to blog just hit me and that is what I am doing in between sets of Holey Diver on hard.

Some have called this movie a classic David vs Goliath story, but I know that facts and attitudes were edited a certain way to give it more of that flare than really happened, I would say that if Michale Moore saw this movie he would be proud, then he's sue for "style infringement".

Anyway, I digress. This is, even with the shady edit job, one of the best movies of they year. Even if you don't like video games one bit I guarantee this movie will have something for you. The challenger to the title, Steve Wiebe, is an every day man and his passion as well as his feelings will resonate with you. The champion, Billy Mitchell, comes off as one shady, arrogant son of a bitch. Some of this is editing, some of it is the fact that he's the best god damn video game player of our time. Several people I know have met Billy and say he is a nice guy in person. I say who cares, when you're that good, you can be cocky. Life's short, right?

In essence the movie is about a small town guy trying to dethrone a king, a god. To do the impossible. To defeat a score that has lasted almost 25 years and has never even been in any danger of falling. In fact, no one but Billy Mitchell has even beaten Donkey Kong. Will Steve be able to do it? Well if I told you that it would be like telling you Bruce was dead right at the beginning of a certain other movie. Takes a lot of the fun out of it don't you think?

So, in short, go see The King of Kong. It's great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home